Wednesday 13 November 2013

Carrie (2013) - Movie Review


Director: Kimberly Peirce
Writer: Lawrence D. Cohen, Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, Stephen King (novel)
Producer: Kevin Misher
Stars: Chloë Mortez, Julianne Moore, Gabriella Wilde

Carrie, the third film remake of the Stephen King novel, is a film about a misunderstood, outsider who struggles socially. Carrie, lives with her extremely religious mother and the viewers really feel bad about the way she is treated by her classmates, as well as her struggles with her home life. Soon, Carrie discovers that she has a great power which she can use as revenge for all the years of humiliation and torture.

I actually saw Carrie because of the fact that the movie I was going to see in theatres was sold out. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect, but went into it with an open mind. I was excited to hopefully see something frightening and suspenseful.

This movie started off and got right into the action. There was some extreme bullying within the first ten minutes of the film. It instantly captured my attention and I was eager to see how this film turned out.

As Carrie discovers her powers, the intensity builds and builds. Carrie is discovering the power that she can have, at the same time that she continues to be tormented by her classmates at school and through social media.

I thought that Chloë Mortez did a fantastic job with portraying the misunderstood Carrie. I really believed her, despite having seen her in multiple other films, especially ones that were much less intense (such as Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Hugo etc.). In addition, Julianne Moore did an amazing job as the overly religious and troubled mother of Carrie. I was honestly very scared of her.

I never saw the 1976 version of Carrie, but after reading other reviews, I read that it was nearly identical. So, if you have seen other versions, I am assuming you should not go into this movie expecting something completely new and surprising. Though, having not seen the other versions, it was not what I expected. I expected something completely terrifying and I found it was not. This does not mean I did not like it. I liked it for its suspense and I found it interesting and captivating. So, I liked this film for that. Do not go in expecting something completely different from the other film adaptions or something very scary, but you can expect a film that is pretty good.

My Rating:
7/10

Click here to watch the trailer for Carrie on YouTube. 

No comments:

Post a Comment